Issuance of New Passport
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport.
Ordinary Passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance except endorsement. A new Passport should be obtained on the expiry of 10 years from the date of issue, or if there are no pages for visa endorsements. Applicants are advised to apply for the new passports in advance with all required documents below. These applications are processed by the Overseas Missions Branch at Department of Immigration and Emigration.
Passport application requirements
- Duly completed application form K35A (filled in English Block Letters) – See (Download application here)
- Original Birth Certificate of the Passport holder (issued by the Registrar General of Sri Lanka or Embassy of Sri Lanka in the country of birth)
- Original Previous Passport
- Original Visa or Resident Permit of the applicant (Document issued by the Immigration Authority of the Country of Residence indicating the status and category of your visa)
- Original Marriage Certificate (ONLY for female applicants if the surname of the husband should be included in the passport: Optional)
- Professional Qualifications Certificate or Letter from current employer to confirm the profession. (ONLY to insert /amend the profession: Optional)
- If the Profession needs high level Qualifications Doctor, Engineer Accountant Quantity Surveyor etc. the applicant must provide educational qualification or professional membership status.
- For other executive professions a service letter should be provided
- For unskilled jobs, e.g. Labor, House Maid, no document is required
- If the profession is already included in the previous travel document, no document is required
- If the applicant is born outside of Sri Lanka and is over the age of 21, such applicants must submit an affidavit stating that they will retain Sri Lankan citizenship (Download here)
- If the applicant is dual citizen, dual citizenship certificate copy and relevant foreign passport copy.
- 3 Photographs*
Renewal of passports of children under 16 years of age
Following additional documents are required for renewal of passports of children under 16 years of age:
- If born outside Sri Lanka, Citizenship Certificate
- Sri Lankan Passports of the parents
- Consent letter signed by both of the parents (Download application here)
- If parents were separated, documents indicating legal guardianship of the child
- If one parent deceased, the death certificate of such parents
- If a legal guardian is applying, proof documentations regarding guardianship
English translation should be produced for all the documents issued in other than Sinhala, Tamil or English.
|€ 115||for 03 years|
|€ 140||for 10 years|
* Specifications of the Passport Photographs
- The image should be 3.5 x 4.5 cm in size
- The image must have adequate brightness and contrast
- The skin tone should be natural. In case of over-exposure or under-exposure of the photo, the skin is either too dark or too light, photo will not be acceptable
- It should show a close up of the head and (partial) shoulders
- The image should be straight looking, centered with neutral expression
- Face should be in sharp focus and clear with no ink marks/creases/lines
- The face (from forehead edge to bottom of chin) should be 70 to 80% of the photo or 2.5cm height
- The eyes must be open and no hair obscuring the face
- If worn Prescription glasses, it should be clear and thin framed and should not have flash reflection or obscure the eyes
- Head coverings, hair, head-dress or facial ornaments should not obscure the face
- The photo must have plain light background and must contrast with face and dress
- There must be no other people or object in the photo
- The lighting must be uniform with no shadows on the face or behind
- Red eye photos are not allowed
- No lines are allowed.
- The photo should be ideally printed in professional photo printing papers with continuous tone; and good resolution. Polaroid photos or photos printed with ordinary printers are not suitable