Registration of Marriage
- At least one of the parties to the marriage should be a citizen of Sri Lanka
- Both parties should not be under 18 years of age
- No party should have entered into any legal marriage which is valid at the date of Notice of Marriage
Following documents are required to submit to the Embassy together with the Notice of Marriage:
- Passports of both parties (with photocopies of bio-data page, alterations page and current Visa page)
- Original Birth Certificates of both parties (should be authenticated by the Foreign Ministry in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan Citizens. Passports of witnesses (two Sri Lankan passport holders)
- Affidavit for Civil status/unmarried status of both parties, declared before a Justice of Peace. This certificate should be authenticated by the Foreign Ministry in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan Citizens. – See Downloads Page for a copy of the sample affidavit.
- Divorcees should submit Divorce Certificates. This should be authenticated by the Foreign Ministry in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan citizens.
- In case of widow/widower, should submit the previous Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate of the spouse (This should be authenticated by the Foreign Ministry in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan citizens)
For foreign nationals, all the certificates issued by their respective countries should be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country issued such document. Also the documents should be counter signed / attested by the Diplomatic Mission of the country issued such document in Austria or the Diplomatic Mission of Sri Lanka accredited to that country.
For nationals of Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia and Serbia, the affidavit should be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country issued such document or Diplomatic Mission of the country issued such document in Austria.
Date of Registration
The date and time for registration will be notified to the party, once the application is processed and accepted by the Embassy.
Certified copies of Marriage Certificates will be issued on a subsequent date by the Embassy, if required. Additional copies of the Marriage Certificate could be obtained on payment of the prescribed fees.
English translation should be produced for all the documents issued in other than Sinhala, Tamil or English.
|Notice of a Marriage (General/Kandyan)||€ 29|
|Registration and issuance of a Marriage Certificate (General/Kandyan/Muslim)||€ 45|
|Registration of Marriage under Special Licence (General/Kandyan)||€ 57|
|Issuance of Certified Copy of a Marriage Certificate (General/Kandyan/Muslim)||€ 21|
|Application of a Marriage Licence under Section 24 (Notice of Marriage)||Free|