You should apply for a Business Visa if you are travelling to Sri Lanka for one or several of the following purposes:
- Participation in business meetings and negotiations
- Conferences, workshops and seminars
- Training programmes
- Participation in art, music and dance events
- Participation in symposiums
- Participation in religious events
Note: Under no circumstance could you change the status of visa after arrival in Sri Lanka. For example, a person who visits Sri Lanka on holiday cannot engage in any business/ profession, social work, charity or any other form of voluntary work or employment paid or unpaid without obtaining prior visas for such purposes. If such changes are required after arrival in Sri Lanka, the person will be required to leave the country and obtain the appropriate visa from the nearest Sri Lankan Mission, with the approval of the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration.
Short-term Business Visa
If the length of stay in Sri Lanka is less than 30 days, the applicant or a third party on his/her behalf can apply for Business visa through ETA website www.eta.gov.lk. An ETA visa holder is entitled to enter Sri Lanka within 06 months from the date of issue of ETA.
All applicants must pay an ETA processing fee online. The online payment must be paid with a valid debit or credit card. Any payments made to other websites or agencies are not valid to process the ETA. Therefore, please ensure that the payment is made on www.eta.gov.lk to avoid having to pay again at the port of entry to Sri Lanka. The Department of Immigration and Emigration maintains a NO REFUND policy.
It is advisable to keep a copy of the ETA approval with you to be produced at the port of entry in Sri Lanka.
To check your ETA application status, you may log onto the ETA website or contact 24/7 dedicated ETA call centre on 0094 71 99 67 888.
Business Visa for more than 30 days
If you wish to stay more than 30 days (upto 90 days) in Sri Lanka for business purposes, an application must be submitted to the Department of Immigration and Emigration in Sri Lanka through your counterpart.
- ETA application form duly filled and signed – See Downloads Page
- Letter of invitation from the counterpart in Sri Lanka. This should include recommendation, details of the status of the applicant, nature of business, duration of stay, availability of funds, details of the counterpart in Sri Lanka
- One recent passport-size colour photograph
- Confirmation of travel arrangements such as a copy of return air ticket or flight itinerary obtained from a travel agent or cruise-ship reservation.
- Passport – the validity of the passport must be at least 06 months beyond the date of entry into Sri Lanka.
- Travel Itinerary and address and the telephone number of the place of accommodation.
- Applicants, who are not Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia passport holders should produce a valid Residence Permit.
- Relevant visa fee – with effect from 1 December 2022:
Type SAARC Countries All other countries 1 Business Visa with Multiple Entry for 30 days. € 29 € 53 2 Business Visa with Single Entry up to 90 days. € 124 € 148 3 Business Visa with Double Entry up to 90 days. € 220 € 243 4 Business Visa with Multiple Entry up to 90 days. € 315 € 339
How to submit the application
At the Embassy
- Visa can be applied by physically submitting an application to the Embassy. When submitting a visa application personally by hand, visa fee must be paid in cash at the counter of the Embassy*.
Visa can be applied by sending the application by post/ courier with the aforementioned required documents to:
H.E. the Ambassador and Permanent Representative
Embassy and Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka
Weyringergasse 33, 4th floor
The Embassy will not to take any responsibility for documents lost or delayed in the post/courier.
- The applicant is responsible arrange the courier service to return the Passport. When a visa application is sent by post, the applicable visa fee has to be paid to the below mentioned bank account of the Embassy* and enclose a copy of the bank payment receipt:
Name of the Bank Bank Austria Account Name Embassy of Sri Lanka BIC BKAUATWW IBAN AT63 1200 0102 1346 0100
* Please note that the Visa (ETA) processing fee once paid by you is not refundable and not transferable.
Processing time: 3-7 working days