Tourist Visa/Visit Visa
You should apply for a Tourist Visa if you are travelling for one or several of the following purposes:
- Sightseeing, holidaying, excursions & relaxation
- Visiting friends and relatives
- Medical treatment including ayurvedic treatment and yoga
There are no COVID-19 requirements for travelers visiting Sri Lanka!
Apply for Short-term Tourist Visa/Visit Visa
If the length of stay in Sri Lanka is less than 30 days, the applicant or a third party on his/her behalf can apply for Tourist visa through ETA website www.eta.gov.lk.
An ETA visa holder is entitled to enter Sri Lanka within three months from the date of issue of ETA.
All applicants, except children below 12 years of age, must pay an ETA processing fee online. Any payments made to other websites or agencies are not valid to process the ETA. Therefore, please ensure that the payment is made on www.eta.gov.lk to avoid having to pay again at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. The Department of Immigration and Emigration maintains a NO REFUND policy.
It is advisable to keep a copy of the ETA approval with you to be produced at the port of entry in Sri Lanka.
For last-minute travellers who travel to Sri Lanka for tourist/transit purposes without prior ETA approval, a limited facility to obtain the ‘On arrival ETA’ is available at the Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo and Mattala International Airport.
The ETA is initially limited to 30 days stay in Sri Lanka from the date of arrival, although it may be extended up to 06 months. Application for an extension should be submitted to the Visa Section of the Department of Immigration by visiting the Department or through an Authorized Agent or online via following link:
To check your ETA application status, you may log onto the ETA website or contact 24/7 dedicated ETA call centre on 0094 71 99 67 888.
Tourist Visa/Visit Visa for more than 30 days (up to 90 days)
If you wish to stay more than 30 days (up to 90 days) in Sri Lanka for tourism purposes, an application must be submitted to this Embassy.
- ETA application form dully filled and signed – See Downloads Page
- One recent passport-size colour photograph
- Confirmation of travel arrangements such as a copy of return air ticket or flight itinerary obtained from a travel agent or cruise-ship reservation
- Passport – The validity of the Passport must be at least 06 months beyond the date of entry into Sri Lanka.
- COVID-19 Vaccination certificate – (if you are not fully vaccinated, please follow the procedure Tourism Bio Bubble – See Downloads Page)
- Applicants, who are not Austria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia passport holders should produce a valid Residence Permit in Austria.
- For each supporting document, original document + 1 set of photocopy should be submitted. [Photocopy of the visa application form is not required.]
- Relevant visa fee – with effect from 1 December 2022:
Type SAARC Countries All other countries 1 Tourist Visa with Double Entry for 30 days. € 20 € 48 2 Tourist Visa with Double Entry up to 90 days € 134 € 239
How to submit the application
At the Embassy
- Visa can be applied by physically submitting an application to the Embassy. When submitting a visa application personally by hand, visa fee must be paid in cash at the counter of the Embassy*.
- Visa can be applied by sending the application by post/ courier with the aforementioned required documents to:
H.E. the Ambassador and Permanent Representative
Embassy and Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka
Weyringergasse 33, 4th floor
The Embassy will not to take any responsibility for documents lost or delayed in the post/courier.
- The applicant is responsible arrange the courier service to return the Passport. When a visa application is sent by post, the applicable visa fee has to be paid to the below mentioned bank account of the Embassy* and enclose a copy of the bank payment receipt:
Name of the Bank Bank Austria Account Name Embassy of Sri Lanka BIC BKAUATWW IBAN AT63 1200 0102 1346 0100
* Please note that the Visa (ETA) processing fee once paid by you is not refundable and not transferable.
Processing time: 3-7 working days