Registration of Birth
Registration of birth of children born outside Sri Lanka to Sri Lankan parents can be registered at the Embassy of Sri Lanka. At least one parent must be a citizen of Sri Lanka or should have dual citizenship at the time of the child’s birth.
The declaration should be submitted within three (3) months of such birth to the Diplomatic / Consular officer of the relevant Embassy. After three (3) months and within one year the Diplomatic / Consular officer will record the reason for the delay and continue the registration.
After one year of the birth, if the registration has not done, Applications should be forwarded to the Registrar General Department to obtain approval.
Please submit two sets of photocopies alongside the originals of each document.
- An Application for registration of birth within three months – See Downloads Page
- Alternatively: An Application for registration of birth after three months – See Downloads Page
- An Application for registration of citizenship – See Downloads Page
- Declaration of the citizenship of the applying parent – See Downloads Page
- Original Birth certificate of the child issued by the Competent Authority in Austria or accredited country.
- Original Birth Certificates of parents. (Translations are not accepted as original)
- Original Marriage Certificate of parents. (Translations are not accepted as original)
- Passports of parents with copies of the bio page and valid visa page or ID of the country of residence at the time the child was born.